Friday, August 26, 2011

What To Do This Weekend: 8/26–8/28

I was going to direct you all to the Bloody Mary competition on Sunday at Scala's Bistro in the city, but it sold out, much to my chagrin (a phrase I don't get to say enough!). You'll survive... I think. Just go to Stanford's and build a Bloody in my honor, since I'm off the sauce for this juice cleanse thing. Although, there is tomato juice in them...
[photo: vibe.com]
Friday, August 26:
DUI Checkpoint: It's in Walnut Creek on Lawrence Way, presumably right before the freeway entrance. It's schedule to start at 9pm, but how about you just don't drive if you've been drinking and then you won't have to worry about it.
[Source: SFGate]

Shock G: You guys. I am so sad I'm working and can't go this. I can rap almost 90% of "Freaks of the Industry." (My mellow) Shock G promises to wax it, tax it, and pass it around with "Freaks," "Humpty Hump," and "Sex Packets," which I've never heard of, mainly because I'm busy deciding between options a-c (the answer is d, all of the above).
9pm, $17 at the door
Shattuck Down Low
2284 Shattuck Ave., Berkeley
website
(don't say nothin', I guess I'm justa freak) 

Poprocks at Dan's: Wish Turtle a Happy Birthday.
Music at 10pm, cover at 9pm
1524 Civic Dr., Walnut Creek
website

Saturday, August 27:
Off the Grid Golden Gate Fields: Off the Grid organizer Matt Cohen is attempting to assemble the largest group of food trucks in Off the Grid's history at Golden Gate Fields, starting this Saturday and continuing every Saturday through September 17. An estimated 30 trucks will be in attendance, posting up in the grandstand area, which means you have to pay track admission to get to the goods. Trucks you can count on spotting? Hapa SF, 3-Sum Eats, Chairman Bao, Curry Up Now, and Whisk on Wheels will all appear at some point over the next four Saturdays. They're also encouraging you to get gussied up a bit, so now you finally have an excuse to buy a ridiculous hat (personal fav: pillbox). They'll also have a free shuttle from North Berkeley BART.
[source: WTF/EBX]
11am–5pm, $6
Golden Gate Fields, Berkeley
website 

Speakeasy 14th Anniversary: Expect food trucks, $3 beers, live bands, photobooth, and the unveiling of their new Butchertown Brown Ale. You can grab a free general admission ticket, or snag a VIP Butchertown Packet for $20 and get a limited edition poster, beer mug, sticker, and two free beer tickets. And not to be a Debbie Downer, but make sure your DD hides their valuables in their car because neighborhood's rough.
[source: Scoutmob]
12–7pm
1195 Evans Ave., San Francisco
website

Saturday, August 27–Sunday, August 28:
Treasure Island Flea: I keep meaning to go to this, I swear, but I don't need furniture since my entire apartment it outfitted in Ikea's finest. 7x7 does a good job of getting paid by Treasure Island to write a nice article reminding us that there's more to flea markets than furniture, and it includes donuts, lace up boots, and tiki poles. Your probably don't have enough tiki poles.
[source: 7x7]
9am–4pm, $3
Treasure Island
website

Sunday, August 28:
LastSundaysFest: In addition to chamber music and jazz, you get Led Zeppelin covers from Custard Pie, which sounds worth my time while I'm demonstrating my inability to haggle while perusing the jewelry and crafts on the street. There's also a promise of street food.
11am–6pm
Telegraph Ave., Berkeley
website

And you can always try one of these local places:

Recent Reviews:
B-Dama (Piedmont Ave.) [WTF/EBX]
Tender Greens (Walnut Creek) [The Merc, my review here]
Thai Temple (Berkeley) [NBC Bay Area]
Trueburger (Oakland) [Bargain Bite/SFGate]
Liba Falafel (Roving - Food Cart) [Berkeleyside]

No comments:

Post a Comment