Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Refinery29 Does Oakland

[refinery29]

I'll admit it: I'm a sucker for Refinery29. It used to pile up in my reader, but I find myself clicking through their daily email blast, coveting overpriced shoes and reading about people's fabulous homes and fabulous lives. Today they decided to venture on "the BART" and check out Oakland's Temescal, which is pretty impressive for a site primarily dedicated to the 7x7.

First stop? The sign! I mean, I guess it's pretty inviting. All digs aside, they suss out Esqueleto, a jewelry shop adorned with animal skulls and succulents, recently opened by Bay Area jewelry designer Lauren Wolf (their interview here). Also on the tour are Temescal Alley Barbershop, Marisa Haskell's jewelry shop, and decor store Lot 49, which stocks quirky home goods like glass owls and funky chairs.

Refinery also really throws me a bone with mention of Crimson Horticultural Rarities, since nothing can grow in my sunlight-deprived apartment, but I forgot everything by the time they finally reach Bakesale Betty. I'm probably the only person in the East Bay who hasn't tried their fried-chicken sandwich. They also give some lip service to Pizzaiolo, Dona Thomas, Homeroom, and a slew of other food stops, ranging from ice cream to Burmese.

The crew at Refinery finally rounds it out with bikes, tattoos, and Hooper Vintage Skate Shop. Wheels (I call them this because I've only long boarded and I don't keep in touch with any of my skater friends), chocolate, and tea sound like a great excuse to justify a visit, and maybe a new Arbor before I remember I can't skateboard drunk. And thus concludes Refinery29's day in Temescal. Anything they missed? I didn't see a single bar on there....
[Source: Refinery29]

No comments:

Post a Comment