Friday, August 19, 2011

What to Do This Weekend: 8/19–8/20

I'm back! Briefly!! Honestly, I wanted to leave this until the weekend, when I was all fresh and not jettisoning to and from the city for interviews, but I think this kinda stuff is all anyone cares about and it pays my bills, or whatever the saying is for things I do for free and no monetary compensation.

Saturday, August 20:
last year's crowd
SF Street Food Festival: My inbox has been lighting up with every newsletter giving the event some valuable space, and I'm really tempted to go, despite what a terrible time people had last year with the lines. There'll be almost 70 vendors, which will hopefully do something about those lines, and everything will be cash only, unless you purchase a "passport" in advance. You're all free thinking adults, so I won't tell you what to eat, just to get there early because it gets packed. Free to enter, 11am–7pm.
The Mission, SF
website

Rockwall Summer Rocks Open House: The winery will be pouring 50 different wines, along with food from Bistro Zafari and live music. $30 advance/$45 day of, 1–5pm.
2301 Monarch St, Suite 300, Alameda
website

Alamo Square Flea Market: Pick up amazing goods from the folks at Indie Mart. You can find vintage pieces, antiques, art and crafts, fartsy artsy stuff. Off the Grid will also be onsite with some grub. 9–3pm.
Scott St., between Fulton and Hayes; Grove St., between Scott and Divisadero. San Francisco
website

Weiner Nationals: First, to get it out of the way, I said weiner. Secondly, I'm not going to get into any sort of animal rights issue, because this is not that blog. I will say, I want to see dachsunds racing because I like things with little legs running. That's why I love little people so much. Don't you judge me and I won't judge you for actually going to this. $6–8, 11:45am–5pm.
Golden Gate Fields, Berkeley
website

Spoontonicon: We're throwing a Comic Con-themed party, complete with drink specials and costumes. Come in costume. It will be fun. I will be bartending. Justin will be bartending/dancing/making dove noises. You can't lose. There'll be a Svedka promo and guest Djs.
2580 N. Main St., Walnut Creek
event page

DUI Checkpoint: And on that note, be aware there'll be a DUI checkpoint set up in Concord on Clayton Road at Ayers Rd. Designate a sober driver, and I promise I'll make them my special non-alcoholic draaaank at Spoon.
website

Saturday, August 20–Sunday, August 21:
this choad is still playing music
Oakland Art & Soul: Have I mentioned that nothing will top the year that I saw both Dredg and Pinback at Art & Soul? Granted, it may have been way back in 2005, but the lineup never really does anything for me these days. In case you REALLY LOVE Five for Fighting or Goapele...they'll both be there.
Downtown Oakland, near 12th St. BART
website

No comments:

Post a Comment