Friday, October 14, 2011

What to Do This Weekend: 10/14–10/16

You guys! I actually did a post in between this one and last week's weekend round up! A miracle, I know! See, I've been working on a nightlife thing for Diablo (and I mean WORKING, I cannot for the life of me seem to get down what they want), and I am also stupid and every time I wrap up one assignment I take another one with a quick deadline so I am BUSY. And I have a cracked tooth and look like a cracky as food falls out of my mouth as I try and eat on one side. I am such a catch. Where was I? Oh yes, this weekend....


Friday, October 14–Saturday, October 15:
The Room with Tommy Wiseau Appearance: We we we so excited! I absolutely love The Room, so much so that I apparently couldn't bring myself to return it to Netflix and now own it, and I've been dying to go to one of the midnight showing at Landmark Theaters in Piedmont. But now you have to because Johnny and Maaaahrk will be there! Oh haaaaaiiiiii! Tommy Wiseau and Greg Sestero will be making special guest appearances at the midnight showings this weekend.
Midnight, $15
4186 Piedmont Ave., Oakland


Saturday, October 15:
SF DocFest–80s New Wave Sing-Along: The 10th annual SF DocFest kicked off yesterday and runs through the 27th at both the Roxie in SF and Shattuck Theatres in Berkeley. However, the real event here (sorry, I'm sure some of you love and appreciate docs more than I do) is that on Saturday, The Roxie is hosting an 80s New Wave Sing-Along. Organizers are encouraging you to get all "Flock of Seagulls" with your hair, slap on some eyeliner, and belt out hits from A-Ha, Depeche Mode, The Smiths, New Order, and more. Lyrics will be on screen for those with short memories, or who were born in the late '80s.
9:30pm
3117 16th St., San Francisco

That 70s Party Fundraiser: The Berkeley Playhouse is holding its first ever fundraiser, and has chosen a 70s theme for their party. Dress like Mila Kunis (not Donna. NEVER Donna) and enjoy live and silent auctions, live performances from the Playhouse's cast, and DJ playing hits so you can learn the hustle and the bump.
5–9pm, $25
St. John's Church

Serbian Food Festival: According to the Merc, "authentic Serbian cuisine, music, and dancing." Like me, do you have no idea what Serbian food is? A quick Google search tells me to expect small rolls of mixed minced meat, stuffed peppers, musaka (minced pork or beef mixed with eggs and potatoes and then baked), and corn bread. Serbian spirits include grape and plum brandy. Since I always care more about desserts, let's hope for baklava, semolina cakes, and pies and cakes with preserved fruits.
Free, 12–9pm
Holy Trinity Cultural Center
1700 School St., Moraga

Saturday, October 15–Sunday, October 16:
SF Vintner's Market: Not only can you taste wines from Napa, Sonoma, Paso Robles, SLO, Santa Barbara, and the Russian River, but you can also buy wines from close to 150 wineries. Ticket prices include all tastings.
1–4pm, $70 adv/$80 day of
Fort Mason Center, San Francisco

Treasure Island Music Festival: I've learned I hate concerts because I don't like hippies with hula hoops or people in furry boots on ecstasy touching me, but Treasure Island's lineup is pretty stellar, and if you like people and crowds and drugs, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Tickets are still available for one day or the whole weekend. Say hi to Ben Gibbard for me. 
Treasure Island, with shuttles from AT&T park
Gates open at 11am, Music starts at 12pm
$69.50 single day, $125 two day

No comments:

Post a Comment