Friday, June 17, 2011

Phil's Sliders (Berkeley) Opens Today


Phil's sliders, which I mentioned back in the beginning of May, is hopefully opening today, barring any setbacks from their last two inspections. I'm an optimist (I swear!), so expect them to open around 3pm today. If the inspectors hate burgers, and by extension us, Phil's opening may be delayed another few days. 


Owner Hugh Groman named the place after his Dad, Phil, which is almost as sweet as $2.00 sliders made with Marin Sun Farms grass-fed beef and organic lettuce, served with tater tots and sesame coleslaw. And the s'mores bars! I cannot get off of these bars, guys. I'm sorry. Except I'm not. Also, look at this amazing story about Hugh's dad that was posted in the window of the restaurant during construction:
A Story About Phil
I was 12 years old and my parents Phil and Hadele were hosting one of their many parties; our big but never big enough formal dining room table crowded knee-to-knee with adults. I was sitting next to my dad, and sitting next to me was a foreign exchange student who had been brought to the party by one of my parents’ friends. She was maybe 21, the only other “kid” at the table besides me, and barely spoke a word of English. In fact, she was so quiet, looking down at her plate the whole time, it seemed like she was trying to disappear altogether. Midway through the meal, as she was reaching for a bread roll, she accidentally knocked over her glass of red wine onto the white tablecloth, the stain quickly spreading across the fabric. Everyone froze, except my father. Barely pausing between bites, my dad casually backhanded his own wine glass onto the table. Laughter filled the room and I could tell that the exchange student was relieved. I’ve never forgotten that moment… [source: Berkeleyside]
Makes my black shriveled heart almost reach normal size, all Grinch-like. And just in time for Father's Day....

2024 Shattuck Ave., Berkeley
(510) 647-5165
philssliders.com

No comments:

Post a Comment