Friday, July 29, 2011

What to Do This Weekend: 7/29–7/31

Hi friends! I've been busy pulling together a writing sample for a possible future job I'm really excited about, so this week is full of tangents. Like always, right? Sorry....

creepy garlic guy from nowpublic.com
Friday, July 29–Sunday, July 31:
Gilroy Garlic Festival: I know this event is far, but I’ve always wanted to go because I love events centered around one food item and figured someone else that reads this blog might share my love. While there are a ton of other activities going on during the festival, like live music, cook-offs and a Miss Gilroy Garlic competition, for me it’s all about the food and smelling like garlic when I sweat for the next week. Garlic fries, pasta, garlic bread, stuffed mushrooms, and garlic ice cream are just a smattering of the items that will be lacing your sweat with an enveloping putrid aroma. How far is it to Gilroy again? 10am–7pm, $15.
Christmas Hill Park
7050 Miller Ave., Gilroy

Saturday, July 30:
from mlb.com
Oakland A’s Beer Fest: This 15th annual event gives you access to 30 different microbreweries, including 21st Amendment, Pabst (does that really count as a microbrewery?), Sudwerk Brewery, and Trumer Brauerie. Tainted Love (are those the guys that do ‘90s covers over at Dan’s?) will be providing the tunes. Who wants to go with me? Better, who wants to go with me AND get my shift covered at work? Eh? Eh? Free admission with game ticket (when I looked to see what was available the site was down), but you can splurge for a souvenir mug and three tastings for $12. When you consider the price of beer at a ballgame, not such a bad idea. 4:05–6:05pm, with the last pour at 6.
Eastside Club, Oakland (o.co?) Coliseum

Saturday, July 30–Sunday, July 31:
Park Street Art & Wine Faire: Arts, crafts, food, beer, wine, and mimosas. Really, if all else fails just go down to Scolari’s, order something (really, anything) and post up at Lucky 13 with a beer and amazing food. There’s also a petting zoo, if petting soft things when you’re drunk is your whole bag. Free as far as I can tell, 10am–6pm.
Park St., Alameda

Openings:
Home of Chicken and Waffles (Walnut Creek) is still open, and an anon commenter assured me it's real, with chairs and people and everything!
Zaika (Berkeley) is a 120-seat Indian restaurant that opened up in the old Meridian International Foods Cafe spot on University Ave. [Tablehopper]

Reviewed:

No comments:

Post a Comment