Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Humpday Hootch: The Best of SF Cocktail Week



I know, I know….I’ve been talking your ear off about SF Cocktail Week. I can’t help myself. It combines my love of fancy schmancy events with my love of expensive cocktails. Here’s a quick rundown of the events worth checking out. Note: I’ve already talked about the East Bay Showdown here, and will put up a post about what to expect at the actual event tomorrow.


Tonight–Sunday: Revival Bar + Kitchen will be hosting a "Cocktail Geek" Menu Premiere all week, showcasing a special menu featuring cutting edge cocktails, which also marks the launch of the "cocktail geek" section of their drink menu.
3:30–10:30pm Wed & Sun, 3:30pm–12am Thurs–Sat
No cover, cocktails vary
2102 Shattuck Ave., Berkeley
website


Thursday: If you can’t make it to the East Bay Showdown or are hunkered in the city, head over to the Best of the West party at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. Guest bartenders from San Diego to Vancouver will each present a cocktail they consider the best representative of their city and cocktail culture. Challenge ingredients, such as coffee and basil, will be thrown into the mix, and guests will have the opportunity to try their luck at blackjack or roulette for special prizes.
6–9pm, $55 regular/$65 at the door
701 Mission St., San Francisco
Website 


There's also a Get Down After the Showdown Event, primarily for industry folks, at Disco Volante hosted by Don Julio. It runs until 6am (you industry people are crazy), but I'll be leaving in time to catch my BART train. 
9pm–6am 
$5 w/ wristband/$10 w/o
347 14th St., Oakland
website

Saturday: All of today’s events are excellent picks, depending on where your tastes lean. You can start off with a historic bar stroll through North Beach, helmed by Dominic Venegas and Jackie Patterson, or learn the fine art of crafting artisanal cocktails with seminars from Belvedere, 10 Cane Rum, and Grand Marnier.  But the real highlight of the day is The Legends Awards that evening. If you can afford the $175–200 ticket (which includes admission to the after party), you get to enjoy free-flowing booze, a burlesque show, live music and a three course plated dinner as the city’s living cocktail legends are awarded. The black tie optional affair sounds amazing, but also out of my reach, so I’d love to hear reports if any of you make it.
450 Powell St., San Francisco
website 


Sunday: Sadly (for you, I'm going), the St. George Spirits Bathtub Gin BBQ sold out. I know! Don't worry, I'll be back with pictures and a hangover to let you know how I feel about their three new gins (I know you don't care). But don't be too depressed. Belvedere is hosting a Bloody Mary brunch at Skool in the city. $60 covers your food, beverages, tax, and gratuity, which isn't a bad deal. Food will focus on fish-centric dishes from Chef Moto Nagano, and the cocktails will benefit from mixologist Rob Gordon's hands. Each cocktail will be crafted to complement each of the four courses, and each will also be an innovative take on the Bloody Mary. Really, you can't go wrong with four different ways to nurse your Sunday morning hangover. 
11:30 am, $60
Skool Restaurant
1725 Alameda St., San Francisco
website

[all photos from sfcocktailweek.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment