Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Spiffin' Up Your Cards

image cat card stationary party hat stamp washi tape

Alternate title: pretending you're good at crafts. Or that you aren't a perfectionist and are okay with washi tape making your letters look messy. Or that you're a good friend/daughter/sister by actually sending hand-written cards. 

Inspired by a few local blogs, while I was on Fourth Street checking out Convert Shoes (amazing store!) I swung by Castles in the Air to pick up things I assumed crafty people had: a stamp, ink, and washi tape. And a cat card. And a card with a flying castle. YOU DONT JUDGE ME. And honestly, it did spiff up my cards and make me look like I had my shit together. I think a fun clown party hat stamped on a card says "hey, I care enough about you to make you feel guilty about destroying this pretty picture I took the time to stamp on your card!"

party hat stamp on stationary

I'm still not 100% on board with that washi. I feel like it makes me look like I bought ghetto non-sticky envelopes and had to frantically tape them closed. Maybe it will grow on me. Maybe I'll use it on cards for people I don't like.

from Cupcakes and Cashmere

Another idea I wanted to steal from Cupcakes and Cashmere was lining the inside of cards with pretty printed paper, but I found myself at the cash register with paper printed with different kinds of cats. And a cat stamp. I'm wondering how long I can ride this "ironic" cat lady thing before people realize I'm serious. Maybe I'll should go with dots instead, with a lovely tutorial from Oh Happy Day...

from Oh Happy Day


1 comment:

  1. 1: I stumbled across this from a Diablo RT, and I love it. 2: The font for the post titles is pretty much amazing. 3: You are hella crafty - these look cool. 4: Maybe try using the washi tape in a different way? So it looks most decorative than functional? I love the stuff. I'd probably wrap a piece or two around one side of the envelope for a little pop of color. :)

    ReplyDelete