Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Getting Ready for the Fourth

the fish taco from Taco Guys
How have you guys been doing? Excited you don't have to work tomorrow? Me too! Mainly because I've been dying to get in a long hike or bike ride (!!). Any big plans? Dom and I are headed into Berkeley for a special holiday "Only In America" Off the Grid.  From 5–9 p.m., 11 vendors (including Taco Guys, who make the fish tacos I compare every other fish taco to, The Chairman, 3 Sum Eats, etc etc) will be there making America-inspired dishes. We totally procrastinated when making plans, so I'm glad something worked out.

Also, calls to a few of the local bars (ACME, Missouri Lounge, Jupiter) revealed that most Berkeley drinking institutions are open for the holiday. Food, drinks, and fireworks over the Berkeley marina. BAM I just planned your holiday for you.

If you're looking for some style inspiration, you can hop over to my style intern's blog for the perfect Fourth of July outfit. And if you're mixing up cocktails at home, Walnut Creek Yacht Club's Jay Crabb shared a few recipes for making a festive but not cloyingly sweet libation.




As for prepping for the Fourth? For me it's all about this baby:

photo from Smitten Kitchen
I picked up a three pack of berries from the local farmers market last Saturday, solely with the intention of making this Triple Berry Summer Buttermilk Bundt from Smitten Kitchen. Unfortunately, I've been eating through all my berries, so it may be a berry-sparse cake. Which is probably good, because I generally disapprove of fruit in my dessert.

If you're feeling especially patriotic and really want to carry that feeling past the Fourth of July, you could always pick up a cheeseboard in the shape of your state, or a chalkboard map of the country. I have the map hanging by my entryway, and I am in love with it. I want to color in all of the states.

photo from A Cup of Jo

photo from Etsy
and if you're feeling really predictably, you can just wear stripes and some sort of red, white, and blue and call it a day. I wouldn't be mad at this number, from the Karen Walker collab with Anthropologie.

photo from Refinery29, via Karen Walker
Yep, wouldn't be too mad at that one at all....Instead I'll just don a tired sailor-striped tee I've had since the dawn of time, slap on some red lipstick, and call it a day. You can't win 'em all.

No comments:

Post a Comment