Friday, July 1, 2011

What to Do This Weekend: 7/1–7/4

Holy crap, you guys. It's July. ALREADY. What a sneaky sneaky month. I get that most of you have fantastic weekend plans already, but I didn't plan anything because a) I didn't realize it was almost the 4th until like...Wednesday and b) I assumed I would actually remember my work meeting and be scheduled to work this Saturday. Keeping checking back, as I'm going to try and update with bars doing something, anything, for the holiday (Spoontonic will be closed on Monday. Don't come!).

bart tree from Oaklandish

Friday, June 1:
Oaklandish Grand Opening Party: According to Oakland LocalOaklandish is opening its first retail store and community space tonight. They'll be celebrating with beer from local brewers Linden Street Brewery and street food from Fiveten Burger truck and El Taco Bike. Pick up one of their popular hoodies or tees while DJs Spinnerty and Junior, followed by DJ Platurn, liven up the space.
1444 Broadway, Oakland

Saturday, July 2:
Breastfest: Do you like boobies? And beer? Get down to Breastfest and help the community by drinking one and raising money for the other. On a rare serious note, many people I know have family members who have been diagnosed with breast cancer, and this is a great opportunity to help raise money for women diagnosed with breast cancer who can't afford treatment. Marin Brewing Co. and Moylan's are sponsoring the event, which will feature pours from local breweries Ale Industries (yay Concord!) and Trumer, as well as Russian River, Stone, Moonlight, Drake's, Allagash, Big Sky, and Maui Brewing Company (and a ton others). 80s hair metal cover band Metal Shop will provide the entertainment. $45 advance/$50 at the door, which includes a complimentary tasting glass and food. 5–9pm, unless you buy VIP ($10 mas) for an hour head start.
Fort Mason, SF
Sunday, June 3:
Free concert! Neko Case and The Dodos at Stern Grove Festival. I love both these artists/groups and I am ridiculously excited because it's free. FREE. I missed The Dodos playing a free concert over in Berkeley, so I will trek it out to the city. Let me clarify, the boons of the city. THE SUNSET. I said I'd never go back there after I moved out of the fog monster, so that's how badly I want a free concert. Things kick off at 2pm. The Stern Grove Festival has free concerts running through August 21, so if you can't make it this Sunday, check out their website for a list of other performances.
Sigmund Stern Grove Park
in between 19th Avenue and Sloat Blvd., San Francisco

Crusherfest at the Stork Club: Come see 12 bands crush you? I assume that's what crusherfest means. Starting at 3pm, you can see Paul Collins Beat, Nikki Corvette, Grass Widow, Scumby . These band names mean nothing to me because I listen to sleepytime tea indie music, but they may mean something to you.
2330 Telegraph Ave, Oakland

Monday, July 4:
Remember Tipsy Tow?: I mentioned it back for Cinco de Mayo, but I think it bears repeating. Call 800-AAA-HELP and tell the operator you need a "tipsy tow." AAA offers a free ten-mile tow home for drivers and their vehicles. You don’t even have to be a member. Tipsy tow starts at 6pm tonight and lasts until 6am. Or call a cab! click for: Walnut CreekDanvilleLafayetteSan Ramon.

Looking for fireworks? The only place you can get 'em is in Dublin and the only legal places to set them off are in Dublin, at Alamo Creek Park, Emerald Glen Park, and Dublin Sports Grounds. The rest of Alameda County and Co Co County frown on all fireworks, including "safe" fireworks like sparklers, but I know you want to do hoodrat stuff with your friends so for God's sake be discreet and don't be an asshole and burn yourself with a GD sparkler.
4th of July at Berkeley Marina: If you're not into drinking (like, maybe two people I know), head over to the Berkeley Marina for jugglers, clowns (GROSS), food booths, a dunk tank, massages, free dragon boat rowing, and pony rides (if you can convince them you're small enough to ride).
Berkeley Marina
201 University, Berkeley

All You Can Eat Ribs: At Stanfords, $25 will get you all-you-can-eat ribs, plus your choice of two sides, ranging from cole slaw to sweet baked beans to fries or creamy potato salad. I really can't imagine staying inside on the 4th, but the deal is good all weekend so if you feel like being lazy and making someone else do the dishes, have at it.
1300 S. Main St., Walnut Creek
website

4th of July in Moraga: This event has a real name, that I saw while staring at a flyer in Panama Coffee this morning, but I forgot it and the city website doesn't have it, so screw it. There's a dog parade, for those people who like to dress up their dogs (I prefer shoving dog sized costumes on my cat), car show, "jumpies" (wtf?), and David Martin's house party. I don't know what kind of party that is, but this all sounds very family friendly so probably not a very fun one. But hey, there are fireworks around 9:20...
Event starts at 8am with some runs, but I wouldn't bother getting there until the dog parade at 9am.
Moraga Commons Park
1799 Saint Marys Rd., Moraga
website

San Ramon's Star Spangled Spectacular: I almost left this out, but you've gotta rep where you came from, even if it used to mean drinking watermelon vodka out of water bottles and stumbling around drunk on the Iron Horse trail trying to make it to the fireworks. Ah, suburbia. There's a kids area in the parking lot adjacent to Bollinger Canyon Road that features hamster balls! Why can't I fit in a giant hamster ball? The fireworks kick off at 9:30pm in Central Park, synchronized to music on KKIQ Radio 101.7. Don't bother trying to find parking, and instead march from miles away on the Iron Horse and relive those high school years. Your liver may say no, but I say it doth protest too much.
Central Park
12501 Alcosta Blvd., San Ramon
website

No comments:

Post a Comment